Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Invisible Guard for iPhone 3GS

So now I have a shiny new iPhone, I have a few important things to do to it.

sany1833

Extend its functionality..

sany1836

and install a cover. I got an invisible guard, a kiwi-made transparent cover.

It is installed with some soapy water and lots of patience. I applied and smooshed for about an hour, but it ended up fitting very well. The corners took a while, but eventually I got them all in place.

invisibleGuardVs2G

2G on the left, 3GS + invisible guard on the right. The plastic has a slight orange-peel look to it, but it doesn't affect the picture quality.

invisibleGuardVs2G-off

It does feel quite different to the glass, slightly stickier. But it is still great to use. The extra grip on the back is a welcome addition. Even the home button has a guard, which fit perfectly.

invisibleGuardTLCorner

Here you can see how the shield covers most of the corner, and how tight and accurate the cover is. Check around the headphone socket and the volume keys.

sany1844

Another shot of the corner. Also note the one blemish that I decided I didn't care about: the chrome bezel has a flake of missing chrome. It looks like a manufacturing defect, but is too small for me to care.

invisibleGuardTLCornerBack

This is how the rounded back is handled: a slit up each corner.

sany1849

The back looks nice, like its been duraseal-ed. The guard can be peeled off without damaging the phone. So far, I'm really happy with how it come out, its hardly visible at all, and no bubbles!

10 comments:

Toolman said...

Anyone want my 2G? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=235150601

Anonymous said...

How is the screen guard on this protective skin? Most I've tried are fingerprint magnets even if they claim to be oleophobic and all that jazz. Wondering how this one fares.

Toolman said...

The iPhone glasss is oleophobic, but the back isnt. The urethane guard is also not oleophobic, but smudges are less visible on it then they are on glass, and are easily wiped off.

Anonymous said...

I'm purchasing the urethane skin; any tips on application? It looks like it's going to take quite a bit to get it right, esp. the backpiece.

Toolman said...

yeah; just watch a few demos on youtube. Then ensure you have a clean, dust free area before you start. the corners need to be
"palmed" for about a minute to stick proerly, and then they are solid. the front is easy, (10 mins) but the back took about 40 minutes..

Unknown said...

I found a similar product on Trade Me. Do a nanoshield search and you'll find the listings. I've tried and it works great, and cheaper.

Toolman said...

Yep does look similar and about $30 ?

David Stubbs said...

Hey Mate, Just brought in invisible guard off trademe too. I brought a 3GS 16gb off ebay, but it has the is04 update already installed. do I have to jailbreak this if i want to use it on telecom? much appreciated

Toolman said...

David, not sure if your phone needs to be unlocked for telecom - depends on where the phone came from. Try it with a Telecom SIM and find out! iOS4 has an unlock available I think anyway ?

David Stubbs said...

Thanks mate, I got it from the states it was on at-t, the listing says just pop in your SIM and go. so It may work back here without and modification- which would be nice!

heres the listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220641998592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1220wt_905

Dave