Wednesday, 28 October 2009

YESS DVB-T9900HD


So I decided to get a Freeview decoder, and I ended getting a HD (== terrestrial not satellite) decoder even though I don't yet have a HD TV. I got this YESS DVB-T9900HD is a single tuner unit with a HDMI port and the promise of PVR functionality via the USB port.

It looks a little ghetto with a USB port at the front, but I care not for asthetics anyway. Anyone who remembers my milk crate constructions can attest to that...

The freeview signal is super strong where I am in west AK, and it gets a glitchy signal with no aerial at all. My UHF aerial is well aligned so it gives 100% signal, and the programme guide comes through fine.

was skeptical that the PVR functionality of the unit would work via the USB port, but it does. Unfortunately, the PVR integration is basic and lacks in a number of areas. But its ok; you can pause and rewind TV, schedule and record TV as advertised.

I'm real happy for the price of the unit, but here is the laundry list of what is a bit shit about this unit for anyone else looking for an uber cheap PVR:

  • No integration between freeview EPG listings and the recording feature! I hope other units can do this? Scheduling a recording is like setting a VHS; this channel from then till then, click.
  • Single tuner means it can only buffer the channel you are watching. This is obvious, but a good PVR needs 2+ tuners.
  • I haven't checked, but I expect that the recording is in standard definition irrespective of the HD-ness. I haven't confirmed this one, anyone want to give me a HD screen? Actually I havent even checked the HD signal is HD when "realtime"!
  • Seems to use the disk regularly, not a great buffering technique. For this reason, I don't leave the PVR live buffering 24/7. Use of flash or solid state might dodge that bullet.
  • Seems to not like playing too close to realtime, needs 5+ second buffer, else it glitches and drops audio.

So the PVR is basically like a VHS, except you can do poor-mans timeshifting: start watching the recording before its finished.

3 comments:

stacey said...

hi i have the same freeview decoder but can't seem to get my external hard drive to connect to it, it just keeps telling me "not ready".
tried formatting option still no good also tried formatting on pc first still no joy,
any help would be much appreciated my external is a WD300gb.
regards brett

Toolman said...

Yes mine is also very picky on which USB devices it likes. I have tried lots of USB flash keys, and only a few worked, and many USB HDDs that didn't work.

Unfortunately I haven't got any suggestions other then "try another drive".

Its a pity they are so picky :(

Unknown said...

Your WD300gb drive is fine, but it needs to be formatted in fat32. Your drive is probably NTFS the more modern format. If you're not a computer expert, use the formatting option in the PVR. I have a 1TB WD originally partitioned to 500GB for use on the PVR, but found it was too big for the system, so reduced it to 300GB.
Before you plug in the harddrive you need to turn off the freeview box with switch on the back, plug in the USB then turn it back on again. You hard drive will then be recognised. I suggest not leaving the hard drive plugged in when you're not using it, since it is never in a resting state and constant vibrates.