Thursday, 30 April 2009

Muppets album conversions:

This is a project that I was doing prior to traveling.

Picture 012 (by t1mthet00lman)

I spent months painfully converting these albums to CD. These albums got heavy airtime in my youth...

I carefully recorded the vinyl, then carefully cleaned the recordings by hand. Adobe Audition is the best wave editor I have ever used, and the results are fantastic. The finals still have the full warmth of the original vinyl, and no major pops or clicks. This took an unbelievable length of time, I ended up redoing the process multiple times as I learned better techniques.

sany1711 (by t1mthet00lman)

I also scanned and processed all the cover artwork for the CD replicas.

sany1715 (by t1mthet00lman)

The discs are printed on directly (no stickers!), and the art is a mock of the original vinyls' center label. I had to change the track numbers (no side B!) and shoehorn both sides listings onto a single side.

sany1717 (by t1mthet00lman)

The sleeves are complete, with the inner and outer artwork just like the original vinyl sleeve.

sany1712 (by t1mthet00lman)

Again, the track listings were subtly tweaked to reflect the single side and track numbers. Also, the back of a jewel case is not square (but the front sleeve is) so the rear artwork had to be cropped carefully to look correct. Compare left and right above.

In any case, really happy with how these turned out.

15 comments:

Jettro Coenradie said...

Wow, it is looking great, I do feel like you have nothing to do :-)

Mechanical Marksy said...

It's a shame Audition is PC only.

Hey, can i please get my hands on a ripz0r so i can hear your remastering styles?

Anonymous said...

I second the request for a rip, partly because I'm intrigued to hear the results of the work you've put into these and partly because the Muppet Chickens' version of "Baby Face" alone deserves a wider airing for anyone who didn't grow up with it. (My cassette version bought the farm decades ago.)

Toolman said...

Looks like *someone* has anonymously uploaded the albums to TPB:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4888406
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4888408

Thats good, I was worried about the legal implications if I had done it ;)

Toolman said...

Note those are only MP3s, not the full lossless files and complete artwork that I have.

Unknown said...

This post gave me serious warm fuzzies (warm Fozzies?). What would it take for this rabid Muppets fan to get your lossless files--could I reimburse you for time and media to make me a set like yours? Strictly for archival/research use of course...

GrouchoReviews@aol.com

g0dFather said...

Wow! I had these and also converted them to CD, took out the pops and clicks too. Then my !@#$%^ ex-wife and I got a divorce and my entire record/CD collection "mysteriously" disappeared. >:(

Anyway, did you do this to sell them? If so, how much would it cost for a 1:1 of each? Yes, the MP3s are nice but nothing beats the original. :)

Please let me know. Thanks!

Toolman said...

Definitely not for sale sorry. The MP3s are high fidelity, but if you really want the uncompressed WAV drop me an email: thetoolman at gmail dot com

Daeshin said...

The original cast album got a lot of playtime in my youth too, until a terrible mishap left the vinyl with a deep gash all the way across the B side. Thanks to TPB, I will soon be able to relive my memories, and also introduce my own kids to this gem! [anecdote: my dad used to make me write a page a day in my diary since I was 4 - once, to fill up a page on a particularly uneventful day in my fifth year, I transcribed the "Comedian's a bear" routine...]

Toolman said...

"What, you couldn't hear my ears wiggle?"

Toolman said...

"Good grief, the comedians a bear!"

Toolman said...

"YOU WILL KNOW WHEN I _POINT_TO_YOU..."

dommromm said...

Much thanks for this!! The songs never sounded so great!! :)

Btw, did you ever up-load the 3rd muppet recording that appears on the above picture? Went looking for it on Pirate Bay but no luck finding it.

Toolman said...

I haven't seen the 3rd album as a torrent anywhere, but I heard that some guy might be posting up WAVs of all of these soon. Don't know where they came from ..

g0dFather said...

You are 100% correct, Toolman. Some really nice guy posted everything! ;)

The complete set in MP3:
The Muppet Show Cast Album MP3
The Muppet Show Cast Album 2 MP3
Muppet Show Music Album MP3

The complete set in WAV plus artwork:
The Muppet Show Cast Album WAV
The Muppet Show Cast Album 2 WAV
Muppet Show Music Album WAV